Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Do some research. Try to find out as much information as you can from independent source.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a well lit public meeting place like a cafe
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home
- Do not carry large amount of money
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going to
- Take your cell phone with you if you have one
- Consider having a friend accompany you
- Rely on your basic instincts
When you are buying something:
- Keep things local by meeting face to face to see the item and exchange money. Make sure you are completely happy with the item before handing over any money. Although we do not recommend paying for an item you haven't seen, if you are planning to do this, please use a secure payment method. Adslane does not take any liability of your transactions.
- Please remember that if you are looking to buy a car, it is reasonable to expect to speak to the seller direct at some point before meeting up. If the seller is avoiding phone contact, it should be treated suspiciously.
- We always encourage face to face transactions, especially in relation to larger items, and payments to be made in cash whilst in a public place. Try and take someone along with you to ensure that you have thoroughly checked the car or product before purchase and for your own safety.
When you are selling something:
- Arrange appointment locally by meeting physically with the buyer to exchange items and money at the same time. Never send items upfront in advance of receiving payment. If you are using a secure payment method, please check that the credit amount is showing as cleared funds on your account.
- Remember that Adslane doesn’t offer safe payments or buyer protections, so if you come across an ad where the seller is advising using other site it will be your sole responsibility to do so.
- Adslane does not offer any third-party, broker or middle-man agent services. Some escrow services are not genuine, so if a seller tries to convince you to buy through a middle-man agent or escrow services please ignore it.
In terms of job offer:
- Meet your prospective employers at their workplace. Be aware of any employer prepared to offer you a job without meeting you.
- Never provide your bank account details or personal ID such as passport or driving licence, National Insurance Card details when applying for a job.
- Please do not send any money for security deposit purpose or as a bank draft.
In terms of property:
- View properties physically before paying any money. Even if they claim to be overseas, people who are not willing to show you their property or meet with you before accepting you as their tenant seems are not likely to be legitimate.
- Ask lots of questions about the property and the area. Any genuine landlord or estate agent should know the answers and give them.
- For extra piece of mind you may want to consider only renting from a landlord or estate agent who is a member of a professional association or organisation.
- If dealing with a landlord directly, ask to see their proof of ownership for the property and verify it before handing over any money.
- Never provide your personal identity or banking information to others over the internet e.g. details or photocopies of your passport, driving licence or your credit card number. Only give this information to a landlord or agency once you’ve met them personally, viewed the property and decided to proceed with a rental arrangement. Handle your personal data with extreme caution.
Taking these simple precautions helps make Adslane safer for everyone.
Reporting safety issues to the police
Whether you’ve been defrauded by someone or you think you’ve discovered stolen goods, we recommend that you always contact your local police to report the incident and get a crime reference number. If the police take the matter further, the investigating police officer will contact us. We’ll do all we can to provide the police with any information that assists their investigation.